Saturday, May 3, 2014

Office Update

I know, another house update. I will get to writing about those little monsters soon. But for now it feels so great to have another item checked off the list! And it is so nice to have a functioning office again. We use it more often than I thought. For bills, PTA projects, homework, watching our favorite videos like this
First, we did like everyone else and bought the generic BILLY bookcases from Ikea. There are tons of great installation demos on Pinterest, so I won't bore you here. We already had this desk from Ikea, so we used what we had. And surprisingly I'm digging it. 
To make it all cohesive after they built-ins were finished, we slid the desk in and added mouldings up top, down the side, and wrapped the bottom of everything with baseboard. The worst part (my part) was the paint. I painted every bit off what you see and it was the pits, man. But let's get on to our favorite part (and most obviously the coolest part) of the office. That wallpaper!
It's from Spoonflower, one of my favorite sites. It is also from Holli Zolllinger, one of my favorite designers on there. I have ordered this and this from there in the past. But back to wallpaper. It is removable and was very easy to install. A lot of excess glue, but easy to install and hopefully easy to take out if we ever decide to. And here is the extra bonus, on the sample they sent me the scale of the arrow was much larger and I was in deep love. So I ordered. The order arrived and it was what you see below. Much smaller. I was bummed, but I still liked it. So I hopped on their site just to send them a quick email about it. Not an upset one, but a,"Hey, how come this happened," kind of a thing. But when I was on, I could instachat with a Spoonflower employee. So I did. And Tara was awesome and offered to re-print and overnight it when done, refund my money, or give me a credit. So after a little deliberation I decided to keep it and take the spoondollars. They. Are. Awesome. Not a lot of companies would be so helpful. Thanks Spoonflower!
I love this little office area. Feels good to have a drop zone for library books, a place for our old records from Grandpa (yes, we do listen to some of them) and storage for all those pesky cords and old paperwork that we keep but will never look at again. It may not be perfect (Lord knows the paint isn't), but I love it.




Down the line we would like to do these things as well:
  • Repaint the walls (I made lots of boo-boos)
  • Add a new desktop. The one that is on it now is super soft and dents easily
  • Sell the chair and get a love seat
  • Add a desk for the kids in the opposite corner of the room?
  • Hang some large scale artwork on the big wall
Have a happy week! We are coming off of Jack's birthday high and warm temperatures. Which means more happy posts to come. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment