Monday, April 23, 2012

Growing Up

My sister and I had a really sweet upbringing. Not only did we dress like gypsies and walk around with birds, like total bad asses, we were surrounded by a creative, loving, hardworking family.
My sister graduated last week from college. The first in our family, that I know of, with a bachelor's degree. Pretty momentous and I am super proud of her. And of my family. I have said it before, we are all so different, but the influence of each of us on one other is evident for sure.
Even though I am right where I want to be in my life, she showed me that I can finish my degree at any age and do whatever I want to do. 
I think that is part of becoming an adult though. Figuring stuff out. The twenties have been good to me. It isn't taboo that your twenties are for "finding yourself" and being confident with what comes out of it. Not quite there yet, but I have about seven months to go and the rest of my life to work it out!
What I do know is that I want to dress my kids as gypsies like my grandma did us, 
Check.
Put em' in an RV like my parents did and travel to some of my favorite places as a kid like this:
Mesa Verde National Park

and this:
Hole N the Rock
and this:
Glacier National Park
Or glue a nickel to the ground, wrap their beds in newspaper, and show them what a real quarter pounder is like my grandpa did. Teach them to drive in an old CJ5 while climbing a dirt road when they are seven like my dad did. Let them dress in my clothes and high heels like my mom did. Have an unshakable happy attitude like my grandma did. Bring home just their size hotel soaps like my grandpa did. And live the best darn way you can. 
I apologize a little, with the prospect of moving I have a million things going through my head. I can't help but think about living in this house for thirty years and what it reminds me of. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment